Friday, October 13, 2017

Hello!
It was so great to have all of the kids back this week!  :)  I hope everyone had a chance to enjoy the long weekend!  Here in first grade, we worked with vowel teams, talked about schema connections, and tried our first Estimating lesson with some autumn "leaves".  Our addition and subtraction of basic facts with sums and differences within 20 are becoming much more fluent, and we had a blast during STEM on Thursday as we made predictions about the chemical changes in a piece of apple if it is left out in the air, sealed in a container, or immersed in lemon juice.  Our lab report is in this week's Eagle News.






 
 
We earned our first 25 "Caught You Being Good" cards!  The class voted to have Bring Your Stuffie to School Day!  We will do this next Friday, October 20th.  Please help your child choose one stuffed animal that he or she can fit in his or her backpack.  Thanks!
 
Next week, we'll be learning about fire safety and bus safety!
 

My kids and I saw so many things in New York that I wished I could show our class in person.  One of the most special things was an amazing butterfly garden in Battery Park-I thought of our class butterfly right away!  Just imagine this picture x 50:

 
 
 

Everyone looked terrific for Picture Day!  :)  Retakes will be November 21st.
 
Have a wonderful October weekend!  I'm going to a teacher's conference tomorrow with my daughter, who is doing her educator internship at WMS.  :)  Hope you find something exciting to do, too!
 
Becca